Friday, February 22, 2013

Pintersting Solutions and the Daily Routine

I'm a self proclaimed Pinterest addict. I heard someone a while ago refer to it as "digital hoarding". I'd say that's pretty much true...and I don't care. Pinterest is such a wealth of knowledge and fun ideas! And when it comes to cleaning and organization, Pinterest is literally PLASTERED with an idea or solution for everything.

As you Pinterest fans know, some things work and some things don't. Plain and simple. So every Friday here on "Queen of Tidy", I will pick a cleaning or organization tip that I saw and put it to the test. Then comes the review. Feel free to leave your own experiences in the comment section and let us know how your "Pinteresting Solutions" are coming!

TODAY'S TEST: CLEANING A TOILET WITH VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA

The post suggests using 2 cups of vinegar poured into the bowl of the toilet, followed by sprinkling 2 TBSP of baking soda on top. Then let it sit and watch your stains disappear.

We'll see...

Here's my toilet before:

Here's the volcanic science project in progress:


Here's 15 minutes later:



Well, I didn't see my stains magically disappear. That said, I don't consider this experiment a failure. I'm a huge fan of vinegar and baking soda. They're both powerful cleaning products that are natural and safe for the environment and my little ones. I pulled out the toilet brush and cleaned as normal. I'll tell you what, though...the stains and germs didn't even put up a fight! The vinegar and baking soda did a great job of loosening things up and my porcelain throne looks amazing. So go ahead and pull out the toilet brush and just swish all that natural magic around! Your toilet is as good as new and you already had what you needed hanging around in the kitchen. Your pocket book will thank you (vinegar and baking soda = dirt cheap) and Mother Nature will thank you too!

The second part to this post will get you familiar with how I work each day to keep this circus in motion.

I thrive on routine. It keeps me sane. And everyday I have a small list of things that I do to keep the house in semi-order. I promise if you pick just a couple to start implementing, that things will seem a little more orderly. This is done once in the morning and once at night. My mom always said: WAKE YOUR HOUSE UP EVERY MORNING and PUT IT TO BED EVERY NIGHT. I've found this to be true. Start and end the day with order. So here it goes:

1. Make the beds (This obviously doesn't need to be done at night)
2. Open all the blinds (Close them up at night)
3. Empty and load the dishwasher (No dishes in the sink..EVER. Clean up after each meal. Start it before bed so that you wake up to clean dishes)
4. Sweep the floor and quick vacuum if needed (I do this after each meal.)
5. Start and fold a load of laundry (This includes putting them away!)
6. Quick walk through of all rooms (Just tidy up a bit...fold that blanket, throw away that Kleenex, put away that toy, hang up that shirt, etc. Nothing huge, just a quick walk through.)


 
 
 
  
 
This is what most of the rooms in my house look like after this simple routine. No dishes, no clothes, beds made, and I love to look around and say, "AHHHH". I try to have this routine done by about 9:30 each morning or the day just runs away from me. This seriously takes me maybe 45 minutes...not much at all. So give even just one of these things a try and let me know how it goes!

What's your daily routine? Share below!

Also, look forward to Monday's post for our "Ask Sarah" section. I'll take a couple questions that you posted over the weekend and answer them! This next Monday will include some organization tips! See you Monday!

Happy Weekend!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Your house looks adorable...and super clean :0) I like the ideas you shared..I need to try and work on the no dishes in the sink one. I love your blog! It is motivating me to get more organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! You're an expert at these things too! I've never seen your house dirty! I'm glad you like the blog...thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Oh Sarah. I love your blog. Great post! I love that we share the same interest/passion in keeping things clean and organized. I am always interested in hearing about how other people do things. My morning/nightly routine is very similar to yours- however, I don't exactly vacuum after each meal! Ha! I would only add 'take out the kitchen garbage' each night. Keep this blog going! Let's see- I am interested in how you manage/rotate your food storage..? I feel like I do a fairly good job of it but think there might be a better system of rotating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gina! I love your enthusiasm and support! I think you and I would be trouble put together! :) Dirt wouldn't stand a chance! I'm in the process of painting my kitchen right now and I can barely stand the painter's tape. It looks messy! As for the vacuum, it's a very small compact one that's used just for the kitchen. It takes the place of my broom which I've loved. Great idea to add taking out trash to the list! I can't wait to share some ideas about food storage. It's actually something I'd like to get better at. So I may need to ask YOU for ideas and help along the way! Thanks again for the comment! I hope you're doing well!

      Delete