Monday, June 24, 2013

Getting Your Home Ready to Sell

First of all, I'm sure that you all noticed I've been MIA for a while. The end of the school year plus ballet and baseball nearly did me in and the blog had to take a back seat to my life for a while. Now we're just down to baseball and life finally feels manageable again! Kudos to all you guardians who live in the car for the sake of allowing your kids to be well-rounded! And kudos to all you guardians who say no to extra activities...I live in a world where I desperately want to do both!

So, today I was enjoying some free time with an old friend from out of town. We came around to the subject of selling houses. The Hubby and I have sold one house and it's an experience that I don't wish to repeat any time soon. For a neat-freak like me, it nearly pushed me to the edge of certifiably insane. However, it provided me with some wonderful training in getting a house ready for the market. So I'd like to share a few helpful tips today for keeping your house in tip-top shape for others to look at!

11 TIPS FOR SELLING YOUR HOME

1. Relax - I wish I would have told myself this more and then I wish I would have listened. My house was in perfect condition every time it was shown and it still took 14 months to sell because it sold when it was supposed to. In hindsight, I should have eased up a bit and let fate take it's course. Sometimes we put too much emotional investment into believing that if we clean it more, it'll sell faster. And then we take personal blame for the fact that things aren't moving quickly. Do what you can and then wait patiently.

2. Get rid of the clutter - Less clutter makes a space feel bigger. Who doesn't want more space? Buyers love to walk into a place that feels airy, spacious, and open. Put away things like treadmills, exercise bikes, oversized furniture, knick-knacks on shelves, etc. Get rid of as much as you can without the space feeling cold and empty. Don't neglect de-cluttering places like closets too. Buyers love closet space and it's up to you to show them how much they'll have. Get rid of clothes you don't wear, take down pictures that make a wall feel too busy, remove a rug that distracts from the massive floor space, and please, please, please, remove that old fake tree in your living room.

3. Get rid of personal objects - By this I mean that you should take down things that define the space as yours. Replace family pictures with something universal. Clear the fridge of colored pictures from the kids and invitations from your neighbor's BBQ. Buyers want to picture the space as theirs, not yours. Keep in mind that you won't have to go without your things forever...just a while.

4. Neutralize your colors - Paint over that red wall and tone down your furnishings. Use accent colors to your advantage. Use soothing colors like green as accent pillows or blankets. Avoid using colors like bright yellow that have been proven to irritate people and make them want to leave an area quickly. Buyers are turned off when they know they have to immediately invest time and money into getting rid of overwhelming paint colors. Beiges and grays provide neutral backgrounds, plus add warmth without making the room feel smaller. Keep your ceilings white to make the rooms feel larger.

5. Never air your dirty laundry - Keep things like laundry and dirty dishes under control. NEVER have baskets of dirty clothes laying around or dirty dishes in the sink. Also, never leave the house to be seen with the dishwasher, washer, or dryer running. The noise can distract from what you really want them to focus on...your great house!

6. Make the beds - Enough said.

7. Show clean floors - Vacuum and mop if necessary.

8. Wipe down the bathrooms - There's nothing worse than walking into a bathroom that makes you cringe. A dirty bathroom could make or break you.

9. Dust and clean mirrors - Fingerprints, dust smears, and toothpaste splatters can distract from a beautiful room.

10. Open the blinds and turn on EVERY LIGHT in the house - This includes lamps that you have too. Light makes a space feel bigger and cleaner. Turn on EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

11. Bake some bread - I know that sometimes all you have is a ten-minute notice and this can't always be done. But seriously, who doesn't love the smell of bread?! It has a way of making people feel comfortable and at home. The reason I don't suggest lighting a candle is because you'd be surprised at how a scent that you love can be completely repulsive to another person. If you must use something other than baking bread, stick to a simple spray that dissipates quickly. From my personal experience and opinion, I suggest a light citrus smell, like tangerine or lemon. These are rarely offensive. Spray at least 15 minutes before a buyer comes so that the scent has time to become subtle, not overpowering.

So there you have it. I could easily go on and on but these simple steps will certainly put you on the path to selling your home!

What are some of your favorite tips for staging a home to sell?

The Queen


No comments:

Post a Comment