Friday, March 1, 2013

A New Blog Header and Pinteresting Solutions

Happy Friday, y'all! First of all, I'd like to proudly introduce my brand new blog header! Thanks to a very talented friend of mine, Spring, over at Spring Time Treats, I'm the proud owner of this adorable piece of art that now represents this blog! Please take a moment to go visit her website that's full of adorable stick figures, free pintables, fun games, and craft ideas. You can also visit her Etsy Shop for custom order family portraits and greeting cards. Thanks, Spring, for making clean look cute!

Now onto today's segment where I take a cleaning tip I found on Pinterest and put it to the test!

Pinteresting Solution: CLEANING A WINDOW WITH A DRYER SHEET

I had to give this one a try because I can't stand a dirty window for too long. In my house I have a set of double doors that lead out to the backyard and it's a fingerprint magnet. And when the sun shines on it just right, I often find myself trying to find a window in all the fingerprint (if you know what I mean). So today I decided to pull out a dryer sheet to see if any magic would happen.

While it did a good job of removing the prints, it also left behind a slight film and some small fibers. Dryer sheets right out of the box are polyester sheets often soaked in a softening agent. You can feel the "tackiness" on your fingers. So I ended up having to clean the window again anyway, I have not however tried a used dryer sheet, which was also suggested. I'll have to try that one later. While the softening agent will have been released from the sheet because of the heat of the dryer, small fibers will still remain and I don't think it gets the window as clean as it could be.

Here's some of my favorite products for cleaning a window:

1. White vinegar: You'd be shocked! And the smell doesn't last long.

2. Rubbing Alcohol: They make this in a Wintergreen Fresh scent so that it's more pleasant to smell.

3. Green Works Window Cleaner by Clorox: 95% naturally derived and smells great!

4. Newspaper: Leaves no streaks and can be thrown in the recycle bin afterwards!

5. Coffee Filters: Same as newspaper, only comes with the convenience of being bought in a nice, small package

6. Microfiber towels: Picks up dirt in amazing ways and can be washed again and again

But let's not throw the dryer sheet out onto the streets. Here are some of my favorite uses for the dryer sheet:

1. Sock/underwaer drawer refresher: Just put one of those babies in the bottom of your drawer and your socks will be doing a happy dance from smelling so fresh all the time!

2.  Car freshener: Put one under the driver and passenger seat in a small open Ziploc bag. Your car will smell wonderful. The reason for the Ziploc bag is to protect the carpet of your car on hot days. The heat will release the softening agents with the possibility of leaving a film on that single spot of your carpet. And although you may never see it, you might care someday!

3. Trash freshner: Next time you change the garbage, throw a dryer sheet in the bottom of the can before puting the bag back in.

4. Smelly Shoe Freshener: Take those bad boys off and throw a dryer sheet in each shoe. Let them sit overnight is a warm place and "Voila!". Much better!

5. Closet: Put one in your closet to keep clothes from smelling musty.

What are some of your favorite uses for a dryer sheet? How do you like to clean a window? Let me know!

So try one of these ideas this weekend and don't forget to post questions for Monday's post, "Ask Sarah".

Happy Cleaning!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Sarah! Great ideas for dryer sheets! I'm not sure when to ask the "ask Sarah" questions, but I have one. How often should I wash bed sheets, buy new pillows, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, Spring! Look for the answer on Monday! Thanks again for your adorable artwork! Your talent is so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use old drier sheets to clean off the dust from electronics in the living roon. I fold clothes and hand the used drier sheet to the kids to do some dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, Rebecca! And I love the idea of letting the kiddos do it for you!

    ReplyDelete