Monday, March 18, 2013

Ask Sarah: Getting Urine and Stains Out of Carpet

First, I'd like to apologize for the absence of a post since last week! The Hubby and I celebrated ten years of marriage this past weekend and went on a romantic weekend vacation! We spent a lot of time on the central California coast and it was wonderful! So blogging took a vacation also. But I'm back! A little peek at this past weekend:
 
 
 

I was talking to my sister-in-law last night and she was telling me about Cutie A (my little niece) who fell asleep on their new carpet. Being recently potty trained, her little bladder couldn't keep things in and a little while later she had left a wet spot on brand new carpet. Oh, the frustration!!! I was silently rejoicing in the fact that I was past that point in my children's lives and that I no longer had to worry about pee stains on the carpet.

Well, as Karma would have it (and she always gets her way), my son wet his pants all over my car today. I wanted to go back to the beaches of California for a moment and forget that there was pee all over my clean, almost-brand-new car.

So I knew a post about urine removal was fate. I know....not very glamorous. But for those of you with pets and little kids (sometimes the similarities are uncanny) you share in the same occasional frustrations.

First things first: synthetic carpet cleaners aren't a good idea. Here's why: most are made with chemicals that initially clean the stain. But they also leave behind a film that over time has a tendency to attract more dirt. These cleaners also have powerful whitening agents in them that can, on occasion, lighten that spot of carpet. And now you have a mismatched mess! I've seen it firsthand. I still have a spot of carpet that feels stiff and looks a bit lighter than the rest. But it also seems to be a spot that attracts more dirt than most! It drives me nuts!

NEVER, EVER USE DISH SOAP. Or any soap. I know it's tempting...but don't give in.

If you absolutely have to use something store-bought, then buy ALL-NATURAL. But with a few simple ingredients from the kitchen cupboard, you shouldn't need to buy anything and your carpet will never be in danger of ruin.

All-Natural Carpet Cleaner

Four ingredients:

1. Baking Soda


2. White Vinegar


3. Hot water

4. Essential Oil of choice (optional, but great for needing a fresh smell)



First soak up the stain with a towel. Next, mix 2 cups of hot water to about 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar. Use a towel to dab the area with this mixture and clean up any additional urine. The hot water and vinegar should do a perfectly good job of getting the stain out. Next, dry the area as best you can with another towel.

Now go into the kitchen and break open a box of baking soda. Put it in a bowl. Drop about 4-5 drops of essential oil (I like Eucalyptus) into the baking soda. Mix the baking soda with the oil until it's all coated. Now go sprinkle it over the damp spot. The baking soda will begin to soak up the additional moisture and smell. Walk away for a couple hours and let it dry. You can just use baking soda if you'd prefer...it will still work. Be prepared for a slight sizzle...the baking soda and vinegar react but this reaction is not harmful to your carpet.

Now come back with your vacuum cleaner and vacuum up the dried baking soda! VOILA! Stain and smell gone!

I love this method of cleaning the carpet. It's not harmful to your carpet at all and works wonderfully! This will also work with dirt stains and vomit. Also take note that this can be used in the car, house, rugs, etc. Anything!

What's your favorite way to clean carpet stains?

Happy Cleaning!

The Queen

4 comments:

  1. Would this method work on couches too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! Yes, this would absolutely work on couches! Be careful with a microfiber couch though...they have a tendency to leave water spots when you target small areas and it may be worth your time to clean the entire surface of the cushion that's stained. If you're thorough on drying the cushion this may not be necessary. I've used this method on couches before and love the results! Make sure that you let the spot completely dry before letting kiddos sit on the spot...you don't want dirt resting on a wet spot!

      Delete
  2. Cleaning our carpets is one task I would wish to skip but was always assigned to me. And yes, most of the time, the dog is the culprit and I had to address it immediately. Somehow, I believe this method will work. I will try this one out. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    Bong Kingsley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your carpet stains and thanks for stopping by to check out the blog! Let me know if you have more questions!

      Delete